Google Adwords Optimisation 1-Page MindMap

By | In Google Adwords, Mind Maps | 61 Comments

Google Adwords is one of the most effective ways to generate high quality traffic to product and service business websites, but it’s sometimes hard to keep track of all the features and functionality.  That’s why I’ve put together a MindMap of Google Adwords success strategies that fits neatly onto one page:

Download The Google Adwords Optimisation 1-Page MindMap

This Google Adwords MindMap summarises the fundamental, must-have strategies behind the most successful Google Adwords accounts.  Yes, there are a few advanced strategies that wouldn’t fit onto one page, but in my experience of working with hundreds of Google Adwords accounts, 95% percent of advertisers have NOT covered the fundamentals.

• they have a few dozen keywords, not thousands
  • they have 1 or 2 Adgroups per campaign, not 50+
  • they don’t track properly
  • their ad copy is flabby and ineffectual
  • they waste a tonne of cash on overly-broad keywords that don’t produce RESULTS

(As a Google Adwords Qualified Company, Marketing Results manages high-performance campaigns for clients in competitive industries where advanced campaign management yields highly-profitable results. Here’s more about our Google Adwords Management services.)

61 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

1. Thanks for putting this together and sharing Will. I’m in the process of ‘blowing up’ my current website and will want to attract more traffic when the ‘new & improved’ version goes live. Your mindmap will come in very useful!

Comment by LouiseBJ — December 30, 2008 #

2. This is a great resource. i have been studying Google Adwords for a while so I have come across most of this before but it is useful to have everything on the one page. Some of the keyword ideas were new to me.

Comment by Carl Juurgens — January 1, 2009 #

3. THanks for the simple outline and for sharing this. I am struggling to get much results from Adwords on a low budget and this helps to remind me to keep it simple and track more differences better so I have things to compare to each other.

Comment by Mike King — January 3, 2009 #

4. Great read! Unfortunately google adwords already failed our hosting company and cost us losses in over 5,000. That really makes us want to switch from providing windows web hosting to linux web hosting. Lol

Comment by Aquarius Storage — January 4, 2009 #

5. Thank you, for the sharing ! It’s very useful and simple to do ! There aren’t allot sites about google adwords, so every advice is nice !!!

greets

Comment by ruben — January 5, 2009 #

6. The mind-map format is a really cool concept :) concise and surprisingly easy to read, too!
    Thanks!

Comment by itail — January 5, 2009 #

7. all good stuff.\thanks

Comment by Robroy — January 6, 2009 #

8. Thanks everyone for your comments. A mindmap like this won’t necessarily teach you everything you need to know about Adwords if you are a total newbie, but it should act as a useful “trigger” to help optimise your account.

@Aquarius – web hosting is a *seriously* competitive industry when it comes to Google Adwords. While it is possible to make money using Adwords, your whole process needs to be highly optimised. That includes ads, keywords, campaign settings AND landing pages. I understand your frustration at blowing all that cash – but don’t give up. Start small and focused and try to build out profitably from there…

@itail – thanks, glad you like the mindmap format — there will be more on the way soon!

Will

Comment by Will — January 6, 2009 #

9. I think the basic is knowing how much money a lead will make your company.

This is the maximum price you want to spend on one lead from adwords.

You do the maths:
    (conversion rate on your website x profit from 1 conversion) – Price of one click in adwords = profit/loss.

As long as your number is positive your good. The hard part is maximizing this.

Comment by Matthijs Enschede — January 9, 2009 #

10. Excellent resource – really like the mindmap format. I’ve put together loads of these campaigns, but still missed a few of these. Thanks for sharing this.

Comment by Agitationist — January 10, 2009 #

11. A lot of people make a lot of money with Adwords. It’s all about optimization and organizing all your keywords and subids and what not.

Comment by Bromalite — January 10, 2009 #

12. Optimization and organizing keyword is a best way to have a business success using google adwords.

Comment by Spacci — January 12, 2009 #

13. Thanks again everyone.

@Matthijs – I agree with you in principle but find that you can create additional profit by drilling deeper into your client acquisition metrics. For example, there are competitive markets where *no one* can make money on the front end. You have to go negative on the front end and make it up on the back end.

Another factor to consider is the *differential profitability* of different keywords. Optimising on a per keyword basis is also necessary to get the best results.

Comment by Will — January 13, 2009 #

14. Thanks for your mindmap. At the moment I only have around 40 keywords. I like your idea of having 1000+ it seems to make sense. Would you then optimise down from that? Or keep all words performing?

Comment by Ben — January 13, 2009 #

15. That’s a nice post, thank you for sharing the mindmap. Optimization is a long process but results are constant. Just keep it up and it’ll sure increase traffic for your site or blog.

Comment by Increase Traffic — January 15, 2009 #

16. Thank you for this information. I am thinking about doing some internet stuff on the side and this article will come in handy. Thank you!

Comment by David — January 15, 2009 #

17. Great post, thank you for sharing!

Comment by Internet Marketing Firm — January 17, 2009 #

18. I just started using adwords and want to thank you for the great post.

Comment by Jessica - Discount Coach — January 21, 2009 #

19. @Ben – I’m not sure if I’m following your question, but the procedure I recommend is to add LOTS of potential keywords (the 1000+), then prune out the ones that don’t perform to end up with a smaller list. What you don’t want to do is start to narrow, because you will be missing out on a lot of profitable keywords.

Comment by Will — January 22, 2009 #

20. Hey,

A very good post. I am looking each day for new information on how to best optimize adwords to get maximum return on my investment.

Comment by Jonas — March 25, 2009 #

21. Thanks for putting this together. AdWords is a lot more complicated than a lot of people think, including myself. Plus, this is ever evolving and changing. Great job!

Comment by Minneapolis Finder — March 29, 2009 #

22. Thanks for creating this mind map! Must have taken a while! I’ve never actually looked into google adwords before, as I’m rather low on budget, but thanks for teaching me a little more about it

Comment by Business Leader — April 5, 2009 #

23. Thats brilliant. A new way to convey loads of tips within sub-categories. A smart idea, reflects well you on!

Comment by Teamwork Tips — April 5, 2009 #

24. Thanks for the post Will.

The Google Adwords mindmap concept is new to me and I have learned a lot from it. I have started to concentrate on increasing my keywords that make sense.

Comment by Ruchand Toronto Lawyers — April 10, 2009 #

25. Yep, Google AdWords is an excellent tool if you plan to get instant & targeted traffic to your website! :-)

Comment by Web hosting reviews — April 19, 2009 #

26. Great mind map. We use a lot of these techniques as well when it comes to ppc campaigns but I really like seeing it all laid out like this. Very informative. Thanks for sharing!

Comment by Houston Pay Per Click Marketing — May 4, 2009 #

27. Thanks for putting this together and sharing Will. I’m in the process of ‘blowing up’ my current website and will want to attract more traffic when the ‘new & improved’ version goes live. Your mindmap will come in very useful!

Comment by Paylasonline — May 4, 2009 #

28. Hi, cool post. I have been thinking about this topic, so thanks for writing. I will probably be subscribing to your blog. Keep up the good work

Comment by dizi izle — May 8, 2009 #

29. Most of the PPC campaigners dont harp on the fundamental things as you have pointed out. This resource would be helpful for such campaigners.

Comment by Yuva — June 3, 2009 #

30. There is a feeling entrenched among business people that Adwords will be efficacious only for large scale business, but i have seen in my own experience small businesses reaping huge benefits out of the Adwords campaign, by sticking to the basics well as you have mentioned.

Comment by Pip — June 28, 2009 #

31. I’m not certain that I agree one hundred percent with the principles laid out, but I do very much like the format they are laid out in.

Also as Pip says above – absolutely right – and a good grasp of the basics is fundamental to this – mainly tracking.

Ultimately it’s all about ROI – if the ROI is appropriate, the other numbers (to some extent) become irrelevant.

Comment by SEO in Hampshire — July 16, 2009 #

32. This is great! Been working with adwords alot lately so this will give me a boost!

Comment by Zartwork — August 12, 2009 #

33. This is great to post and hang up on the wall when working with AdWords, thank you very much. I agree that fundamentals are most important and also most overlooked so this will help immensely! Off to ppc now…

Comment by online store software — August 15, 2009 #

34. [...] Google Adwords Optimisation 1-Page MindMap [...]

Pingback by ?Google Adwords???????? | ???? — September 8, 2009 #

35. All of the good basics;; very well put together. Thank you

Comment by jeanb – local online marketing — September 15, 2009 #

36. I have been studying Google Adwords for a while so I have come across most of this before but it is useful to have everything on the one page

Comment by Hospedagem de Sites — September 19, 2009 #

37. Thanks for the advice on how to set up my adwords campaign this will help me as my current setup was weak..

Best Regards..

Comment by Computer Repair Las Vegas — September 26, 2009 #

38. Hi,

very interesting information for me, since I want to start with Adwords. Thnks to your hints I can skip the most common mistakes (hopefully)

Comment by Juergen — October 19, 2009 #

39. Love the post, and the map you made is beautiful!

Comment by Skyfyre — October 21, 2009 #

40. That was a great post, especially for new webmasters and SEOs.
    Optimization takes quite a long time but the results are constant. Just keep it up and it’ll increase traffic for your site.

Comment by Designmoebel — December 2, 2009 #

41. Awesome! I am downloading this now. Thanks for the helpful tips.

Comment by Florida Web Design — December 26, 2009 #

42. In 4 years of workiing with adwords i haven’t seen such a good and concise overview on how to manage adwords. Thanks a lot – going to implement some changes tonight.

Comment by How to Speak Japanese — January 20, 2010 #

43. I always get low returns for my adwords campaign, thanks for the tip!

Comment by iPad — February 18, 2010 #

44. Right now I am struggling with my low adsense CTR. Thank you for your post, it was a good read.

Warm wishes,
    epagini

Comment by epagini — April 13, 2010 #

45. I always get low returns for my adwords campaign, thanks for the tip! :D:D:D

Comment by 1ux — April 16, 2010 #

46. From my experience I mostly agree with your last point, which in my humble opinion should be right at the top. Keyword research is the first top priority task for those who don’t want to spend their marketing dollars in a useless way. Also, after making great income and then loosing it all with ARB, I suggest being very carefull with overloading the account with keywords, same goes for adgroups. It is very necessary that all the adgroups and keywords are put in a semantic order ( just as you were doing on page optimization with your website ). Last but not least, nearly 2 years after you wrote this article, flabby ad copies are in majority still… one day these people will learn… hopefully!

Comment by Late Hotel Deals — June 26, 2010 #

47. What is the best way to track and analyze changes in google adword campaigns? is there a tool/rule that can be used to know exactly which word may have influenced a change/increase in sales?

Comment by Herbert — July 2, 2010 #

48. Thanks so much for this — I have read Perry Marshall’s definitive guide to adwords, but it was just way too long and inflated – I could hardly absorb so much in order to apply it. Your advice is much more concise and, hence, useful.

Comment by leather armchair — July 19, 2010 #

49. Thanks for this Will, your mindmap is really useful for setting out my thoughts.

Comment by Gartoo — August 24, 2010 #

50. PPC is definitely effective BUT if you do not know how to properly implement using it then it can be very expensive. I always recommend combining PPC with some other method of marketing.

Comment by Buy Traffic — October 1, 2010 #

51. This is very useful and will help a lot of internet marketers whether a newbie or an expert. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the free download.

Comment by Baby Food Recipes — December 18, 2010 #

52. I just started using adwords and want to thank you for the great post.

Comment by torpedo — December 24, 2010 #

53. Thanks buddy!. You really did a great job. I will also share this information with friends and students.

Comment by Plantronics Headets — December 27, 2010 #

54. I have been studying Google Adwords for a while so I have come across most of this before but it is useful to have everything on the one page. This resource would be helpful for such campaigners.

Comment by Deosaie Articles — December 28, 2010 #

55. Actually… this is an ongoing theme. I have been looking for a way to explain quality score to my clients without requiring them to wear a pocket protector. Google LOOOOVES newbies!

Comment by Jarrod Marketing — January 1, 2011 #

56. [...] was so good to the Google Adwords Optimisation 1-page MindMap that I recently published that I decided to follow up with a Google Analytics 1-Page MindMap as [...]

Pingback by Google Analytics 1-Page MindMap - 1 Page Summary Of Google Analytics — May 16, 2011 #

57. adwords is a good way to earn and also advertise your own links easy and fast , but you will need a lot of money in order to have really good stats.

Comment by Ron Samaniego — June 14, 2011 #

58. I’m studying for the Google Analytics certification and this will be a great help. Many thanks!

Comment by Phil de Gruchy — July 20, 2011 #

59. From my experience I mostly agree with your last point, which in my humble opinion should be right at the top. Keyword research is the first top priority task for those who don’t want to spend their marketing dollars in a useless way. Also, after making great income and then loosing it all with ARB, I suggest being very careful with overloading the account with keywords, same goes for adgroups.

Comment by NJBC — November 4, 2011 #

60. google is really taking a lot of advantage because it has the worlds biggest search engine :P he can promote easiest their products and services .

Comment by Neil — November 15, 2011 #

61. Great Work. You can add another branch on Quality Score which have become critical for optimization.

Comment by Alex Buffett — January 1, 2012 #